Friday 16 July 2010

Welcome!

My name is Sarah and I run a small online business called Welshmillie's Whimsies.


I found it really difficult to come up with a name - in the end I went with the basics, I'm Welsh, have a cat called Millie and am constantly following Whimsies. Whimsies are defined as an odd or fanciful idea, which I have all the time. Occasionally they are made into products which I sell.


Why sell I hear you cry....well if I didn't sell I would be over run with stuff!


So, a little about me......I'm a sagitarius, like long walks on the beach..and......


No, seriously I am a sagitarius, green eyes and a fiery temper! I used to have carrot top hair (it grew muted over the years). When I was about 6 my mum and nana tried to teach me how to knit with squeaky red acrylic and plastic needles. I remember taking my 'knitted piece' to my mum and asking for help. The tension was that tight the needles were bending under the strain of trying to knit.


Fast forward a couple (several) years of picking up knitting and putting it down when my husband brought me my first ipod for Christmas. I was soon bored of my music and wanted to find out more about this itunes thing. A quick lesson introduced me podcasts and Lime and Violet. I was hooked! I listened to all manner of podcasts about crafty stuff and everytime I heard something I didn't know about I looked it up and learnt about it.


Stitch markers were mentioned several times. I was intrigued, so went to find out about them. I loved all the little designs, but was put off buying any because they were either over sea's or they were ' OMG I'm not buying that! I could make it for half the price'.


Eventually I talked DH into buying me some polymer clay and gave it a go. The first ones were large and hideous! But I perservered! Then I got quite a large collection - did I mention that I was a habitual hoarder? Then something had to give so I opened an Etsy store. Since then I've been floating around on the internet, not really knowing what to do with myself.


Recently I've made some life changing decisions and decided that my store is going to become my business rather than my hobby. And the rest and they say is history!


I hope to be posting at least once a week here, with anything that I have been working on. I'm also hoping to start showing some tutorials for some of the items that I make.


This weeks shop update has included some miniature lions, sea lions, ducks, hens and bear stitch markers. There is also some jewelry and a couple of ipod cozies. I'm always open to comments so let me know what you think.


If you would like to order and found your way from the blog use the code bloin4 for a 10% discount!


Stores can be found on Artfire and Etsy!


Further more to celebrate the new blog, shop relaunch etc, leave a comment here about your favourite item in the store and next Friday (23rd July 10) I will pick a winner at random to win a gift certificate for $15!

14 comments:

Cat said...

I guess my favorite item are your new itty bitty lions knit or crochet marker, they are so cute!

Butt Nekkid Bath Boutique said...

I love the "Raining Cats & Dogs" and the "Full English Breakfast" stitch markers! They are simply adorable!

Jewelled Trellis said...

I love your welsh love spoon mounted on the personalized card. My grandfather was born in Wales. Love spoons remind me of him. The "Pat A Cake Chocolate Cake" stitch markers are also a favorite of mine. They look good enough to eat.

Eddy G. said...

Has to be the trio of baby frogs. My favorite nursery song is about a frog who doesn't know what he will grow up to be. these are just adorable.

littlelib said...

I can't believe you're trying to make us pick favourites :o Although I will admit a certain fondness for your Gold n Glass Stitch markers ;) Sorry I didn't come check out the blog and shop earlier, I was doing that silly work thing, followed by errands and house nonsense. Happy weekend!

dragon knitter said...

definitely the glow in the dark eyeballs. of course, you're talking about a girl with an eyeball bracelet, so it only goes to show i'm a halloweenie. yippee!

Julia said...

It's gotta be the hens. Or the sea lions. Or the frogs. I just can't decide!

Katy Swift said...

The frog or chicken stitch markers. I love the expression on their faces. Then again I'm intrigued by the glow in the dark skulls. Perfect for late night knitting.

WendyKnits said...

Hi Sarah! It's nice to learn a little bit more about one of my online buddies. :-)

Ida said...

Hi Sarah,
You already know how much I love your stitch markers and bags. I wish you great luck with your life-changing events.

Anonymous said...

Love the Rubber Duckies. They're just so adorable. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Maybe some moose?

Rainlover said...

without a doubt, the frogs are my favorite. They are freaking adorable. (Not to mention my small *cough* frog Obsession - lol)

Unknown said...

I've had my eye on the "Green Goddess" pendant for a while - stitch markers are adorable too!!
(P.S. I use the stitch markers you made me ALL the time! And they always get great feedback!!)

Cindy said...

I really like all your stitch markers but really like the lions or frogs or duckies. I just found you through some other friends on Facebook! I have a blog also:
http://barbara-moorewhimsies.blogspot.com/ Glad to be following you and hope you'd like to check out my blog.

Hugs XX
Barbara